• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Two-Tails85024

Two-Tails85024

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

I just stumbled onto a you tube video of a guy named Tyler Miller air skinning a Coyote. WOW, It sure seems a whole lot easier than the normal way. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried it and if so is it as easy as it looks?

#2 Heath

Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:44 AM

Have the link?

#3 Two-Tails85024

Two-Tails85024

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

https://webmail.west...v%3DDJr5wkfmbvM
Here is the link I have. If this doesn't work let me know and I'll try something else.

Chris

#4 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

Hi Chris, how have you been? You are missed by PVCI.
When you get the link read this :

http://predatorprofe...p?showtopic=868

and follow Heath's directions to imbed the video in your post.

#5 Geordie

Geordie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

I have tried the air under the hide several years ago. Truthfully, I found no benefit. Build yourself a winch powered skinning machine, and keep a good sharp knife.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

Geordie, several members of the calling and trapping clubs and orgs have built and are using them now.
Steve Craig demo'ed his at the SWFH Ronde a couple of years ago. Very cool device.

#7 Two-Tails85024

Two-Tails85024

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:58 AM

Geordie,
Do you attach a c-clamp vice grip to the skin or some other type of attach ment? Your system is very impressive. What size winch are you using? Do you have alot of muscle and fat tissue left on the fur after using the winch? And lastly do you have any extra fur damage?

#8 Heath

Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

Tw0-Tails, I believe you can see what you're asking about on the bottom of the 2nd picture. I too would be interested in the build specs.

#9 Geordie

Geordie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

Twotails, I just bought some inexpensive vice gips and welded two plats to the jaws. I staggered quarter inch rod on the plates to give it some bite. The winch is one I purchased at a farm and ranch store for $99. It was just a 1500lb winch for a 4wheeler. I start all my coyotes before I hang them on the machine. The hide that comes off the lower back legs is what goes into the clamps. I usually double it over with fur in when I put them in the clamps. This is more for grip than it is to protect fur. If the coyote has a large splash wound or big nasty exit, it can get pretty messy. With these I would advise taking your time and slowly cut away the hide rather than pull it off. Also, to answer your other question, the hides are fairly clean with little tissue left on the hide. That particular skinning pole I built for RShaw and Qwagoner prior to a trip they made to Tx. I built them so they would haul fairly easy. I normally just leave mine assembled and in a stand in my shop. I'd gladly give anyone any specs they want.

Rich, I have seen Steves skinning pole also. I have taken ideas from several different places to come up with this one, and steves was one of them. As Steve probably said, the advantages to a skinning pole are many. If nothing else, it saves on alot of hand fatigue.

Maintain

#10 Two-Tails85024

Two-Tails85024

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Geordie,
Thanks for the info. I would like the specs you have. I have a skinning pole that when raised is about 9 feet tall. I works OK but it is all hand work but it is better than a tree or fence post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users