• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 joshnaz

joshnaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

Any body have any sounds that they have used to call coons during the day?

I have an area that is loaded with tracks and would like to call some in. My minaska caller is loaded with coon sounds. So I must have something on there that will work.

Thanks Josh

#2 jimanaz

jimanaz

Faux Coyote Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

This is stricty second hand information, but I have heard that if you set up close to a den, a fight sound will bring them out with attitude.

Lemme know if it really works.

#3 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:11 AM

Josh, one of our moderators, Lance Homman, is a master coon caller. I'll ask him to drop in.

#4 Steve Craig

Steve Craig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:32 AM

Josh,
I have called hundreds of coons over the years. The best sounds I have ever used were the coon puppies, and coons fighting.
The situation Jim is referring to has been in use for many, many years in the midwest.
It requires you to know a little bit about coon habits and behavior, in that you need to know how to find a coon den tree.
You then look the situation over, determine any limbs a coon might use when he leaves the tree.
You then set up your caller at the base of the tree and on the OPPOSITE side of the tree the hole is on. You then stand back and watch as the coons come out, and shoot them as they come out of the hole or down the tree.
It is great fun, and should be done in the daytime. Not every den has coons in it however, and you will need a lot of ground to kill alot of coons.
It does work at night but i like to get my caller away from the den and allow the coons to come in that way. Easier for me to shine them and get a shot.
Daytime is a fast and furious deal.
A couple of guys from Iowa ,Sonny Hootman and Mike Sells finally made a video of doing this a couple years ago, and let"the cat out of the bag" so to speak that many of us have been doing for over 30 years.
You might recognize Sonny as the manufacturerer of Sonny's Catfish Bait for the last 40 or 50 years!
Sonny used to trap with the great Bill Nelson back in the 60's and if you ever take a wiff of his catfish bait, it smells just like Bill's Predator bait!
Both he and Mike are great guys to know and talk to.
You can order the video from Sonny at 319 878-4115 or Mike at 319 653-5873. Also in the video they have a bonus booklet tucked inside the video jacket.
When you call, tell them the Lion King from AZ sent you!
Steve

#5 Fursniper

Fursniper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

Any suggestions on how to find a den tree in the AZ desert? There are coon tracks everywhere along the Santa Cruz River in southern AZ, but I cannot find any hollow trees. Do they den more on the ground here in debris piles? I have tried calling coons in the daytime using coon fighting sounds in places that looked like Raccoon City judging from the tracks on the ground, but no luck yet. Any help on how to call coons in desert riparian areas would be appreciated. Seems to be a different situation here then calling in the midwest.

#6 Tim A.

Tim A.

cool hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

Coon party and coon puppies , coons fighting works well.. If you don't have any trees around then look for holes in the banks either on the sides or on top of bank, brush piles is another good place to look and any culverts that go under a road or driveway..

#7 Heath

Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

Lance, I'd love to hear about calling coons when things settle down in your home.

#8 Tim A.

Tim A.

cool hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

Vacant buildings and old cars is another good place to look. Found out this winter that pigmy cottontail distress works well at night along with high pitch chirps on a AP-6..

Posted Image

I was calling this one to the road with a hand squeaker till it saw the truck and went back towards the creek.Posted Image

#9 Heath

Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

A Minaska? I thought you were a die hard WT guy!

#10 Tim A.

Tim A.

cool hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

I have a bunch of different E-callers and each has its place.. For general coyote calling the Minaska works great for coyotes as well as coon and fox... For difficut coyotes I prefer one of the two WT's that I have, plenty of good vocals and volume..
I had a battery problem with the minaska the last few years so it did'nt see much use. I finally got rid of the big black battery and took a spare 10 battery tray and hooked it up to the BC and seems to be working well.. I plan to use it a little more this season.....

Edit to add: I got abunch of recorded sounds from a friend and also had him redo some of the sounds I already had, they sound dam good so I will be testing them out this year as well....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users