joshnaz

Coon sounds

24 posts in this topic

Any body have any sounds that they have used to call coons during the day?

I have an area that is loaded with tracks and would like to call some in. My minaska caller is loaded with coon sounds. So I must have something on there that will work.

Thanks Josh

This is stricty second hand information, but I have heard that if you set up close to a den, a fight sound will bring them out with attitude.

Lemme know if it really works.

Josh, one of our moderators, Lance Homman, is a master coon caller. I'll ask him to drop in.

Josh,

I have called hundreds of coons over the years. The best sounds I have ever used were the coon puppies, and coons fighting.

The situation Jim is referring to has been in use for many, many years in the midwest.

It requires you to know a little bit about coon habits and behavior, in that you need to know how to find a coon den tree.

You then look the situation over, determine any limbs a coon might use when he leaves the tree.

You then set up your caller at the base of the tree and on the OPPOSITE side of the tree the hole is on. You then stand back and watch as the coons come out, and shoot them as they come out of the hole or down the tree.

It is great fun, and should be done in the daytime. Not every den has coons in it however, and you will need a lot of ground to kill alot of coons.

It does work at night but i like to get my caller away from the den and allow the coons to come in that way. Easier for me to shine them and get a shot.

Daytime is a fast and furious deal.

A couple of guys from Iowa ,Sonny Hootman and Mike Sells finally made a video of doing this a couple years ago, and let"the cat out of the bag" so to speak that many of us have been doing for over 30 years.

You might recognize Sonny as the manufacturerer of Sonny's Catfish Bait for the last 40 or 50 years!

Sonny used to trap with the great Bill Nelson back in the 60's and if you ever take a wiff of his catfish bait, it smells just like Bill's Predator bait!

Both he and Mike are great guys to know and talk to.

You can order the video from Sonny at 319 878-4115 or Mike at 319 653-5873. Also in the video they have a bonus booklet tucked inside the video jacket.

When you call, tell them the Lion King from AZ sent you!

Steve

Any suggestions on how to find a den tree in the AZ desert? There are coon tracks everywhere along the Santa Cruz River in southern AZ, but I cannot find any hollow trees. Do they den more on the ground here in debris piles? I have tried calling coons in the daytime using coon fighting sounds in places that looked like Raccoon City judging from the tracks on the ground, but no luck yet. Any help on how to call coons in desert riparian areas would be appreciated. Seems to be a different situation here then calling in the midwest.

Coon party and coon puppies , coons fighting works well.. If you don't have any trees around then look for holes in the banks either on the sides or on top of bank, brush piles is another good place to look and any culverts that go under a road or driveway..

Lance, I'd love to hear about calling coons when things settle down in your home.

Vacant buildings and old cars is another good place to look. Found out this winter that pigmy cottontail distress works well at night along with high pitch chirps on a AP-6..

IMG_1110.jpg

I was calling this one to the road with a hand squeaker till it saw the truck and went back towards the creek.th_2272011_161726.jpg

A Minaska? I thought you were a die hard WT guy!

I have a bunch of different E-callers and each has its place.. For general coyote calling the Minaska works great for coyotes as well as coon and fox... For difficut coyotes I prefer one of the two WT's that I have, plenty of good vocals and volume..

I had a battery problem with the minaska the last few years so it did'nt see much use. I finally got rid of the big black battery and took a spare 10 battery tray and hooked it up to the BC and seems to be working well.. I plan to use it a little more this season.....

Edit to add: I got abunch of recorded sounds from a friend and also had him redo some of the sounds I already had, they sound dam good so I will be testing them out this year as well....

I've called in plenty using bird sounds, both day and night. The ones called during the day are mainly in the spring of the year only. (They are on the ground coming to me, not in den trees)

This sounds like a hoot.

I went to the Predator convention in KC a few years back and heard Lance's seminar, but still haven't tried it. I see all kinds of coon sign and coons for that matter in N MO where I generally hunt, so I may give it a go this season.

What's the preferred weapon, shotgun. 22WMR, other?

I use the .22WMR, but anything is fun. I have a friend who bow shoots them.

I got abunch of recorded sounds from a friend and also had him redo some of the sounds I already had, they sound dam good so I will be testing them out this year as well....

Vegas $$? I wondered how they would sound.

It's legal for me to take them when they are called in, before this year the only legal way, at night, was with dogs or traps. I'm gonna have some FUN this season!

From coyotaytalker..

Sorry. Missed this thread until it was returned to the top today.

Agree with just about everything that has been said.

Steve, your buddy Sonny is the one and only reader that ever called me with the red ass about an article. It was just after my first piece on coon calling and my dinner was being interrupted about four times each evening to take calls from readers. I was just headed out the door to watch my nephew play football when Sonny called and chewed me up one side and down the other for telling everyone about "his secret". LOL We spoke for a while, I was late to the game and when I hung up, we both seemed like alright guys.

Sounds: I prefer to use a sequence starting with less aggressive. Coon kitten chirps, high-pitched chattering, coon chatters duplexed with bird sounds. This will appeal to the curisoity in coons and will attract young ones as well as mature ones. If nothing shows, I ramp it up going to lower pitched coon chatters. If that fails, I go to coon fighting, duplexed and triplexed sounds of an all out brawl.

In many cases, younger coons will do the looky loo and the sneak and peek. Once you get aggressive, they'll go up most times, since that's what mama taught them from day one. Danger? CLIMB! If you get a peeker, stick with the sound that brought him out. If he goes all shy on you, switch to another sound in the same category of aggression. Work him through a number of different sounds to see if you can coax him out. Sometimes you can. Sometimes? Not so much. Just make sure they clear the hole completely before shooting them.

One of the beauties of coon calling is that you're right there and you can be selective what you shoot if you want to leave younger ones for "seed". In Kansas, coon numbers have spiked every spring, then plummeted in early fall due to distemper each of the last three seasons. Last year, at several of my best denners, all I found were the remains of dead coons early on and never called a coon from those trees all season. More and more interest has been expressed by locals of hammering coon numbers early, before the season gets too far along and coons start denning together. I ran into a houndsman buddy of mine last year while calling coyotes. Imagine my surprise when he invited me - actually, begged me - to go to some of his best hunting spots and call coons to help thin the numbers down. He had seen the same spike and dump shift in numbers and was more interested in keeping his herd healthy through aggressive culling using both hounds AND calling than he was of hording his coons. He knew that if he didn't get my help, he'd lose a lot more than what he could protect.

Early harvest season is okay, but later season is best, IMO. Coon rut gets going and they become very territorial. When the first cold fronts hit, it may become harder to find where they're holed up because they pick certain trees to lay in sleeping, but when you find them, you often find the mother lode. When one comes out, shoot it down and keep the caller running. I've taken as many as four out of the same tree in under three minutes. The first one at the tree base flopping around really acts as an attractant to the others that follow. A moving decoy (JIB) would be killer in this situation or a similar topper on any other moving decoy.

Guns? I've used 22LR, 22mag, 17HMR and a 12 ga using #4 buckshot. 22LR is too weak, takes a handful of shots to anchor one well. 22mag and 17hmr will do the deed quite well but you have to wait for them to slow down or stop and sometimes, they're so damned inspired that getting them to stop is impossible. In fact, try as I may, I've yet to get them to stop like a coyote will. That's why I use a 12 gauge. Movers and shakers? No problem. Running down a tree trunk or across a large limb? Point and shoot. Two or three coons sitting on the same branch looking for the fight? Red letter chance of a lifetime. Word of warning, leading something going from high to low goes against your shooting muscle memory and it ain't as easy as you think it is. LOL Other word of warning... furbuyers really bitch when you shotgun coons. More so than they bitch when you try to sell dog kills. I don't get that, but what the hell. I mean, shotgun a fox or a coyote? No problem. Shotgun a coon with the same load and they get all hinky. Had one last year tell me he won't buy them from me anymore if I shotgun them. I told him I was in the business of getting them dead first, then getting them sold, and if he didn't want them, his competition did. 'Nuff said.

I have a lot of den trees and that is where I focus my calling. I know a number of guys who hammer brush piles, den holes in creek banks, and old abandoned farm machinery and are very successful in doing so. They have to live somewhere. Find where and call.

Very well said, Lance. I'm going to try calling coons during the day, this season.

Thanks, Lance! My best coon trees are in the middle of our whitetail so not sure when I will be able to go after them but it does sound like fun. Are you going to be speaking as you did for the KC expo again any time soon? I'm close enough to you to make the drive if and when you do.

Not scheduled anyplace. I guess I have a face built for writing. LOL Whereabouts are you in MO? KC is only about 2 hours from me and if you ever buy a KS license, you're welcome to come here and hammer some coyotes with us.

Thanks for the invite, that would be fantastic. We live about 30 miles east of St Joesph near the intersection of 36 and 35.

Tennessee coon season opens up this weekend. I'm gonna go see if I can call a few.

Boy, am I late to respond to this post! How did you do Casey? Did you get the game figured out?

Anyone else murderilizify any racoons?