Dan

The Amazing 6 WOA

24 posts in this topic

I've used my 6 WOA for the last three years for predator hunting. It has harvested about 50 coyotes in that time and I had to shoot one twice, and that one was an accident on my part. The 6 WOA case is made from the 6.8 Remington case, which is currently available from Remington and Silver State Arms. I use the SSA brass with the small primer pockets as I think the powder capacity is not enough to warrant a large rifle primer, both SSA and Remington offer large pockets if that is what you want to use. The 6 WOA lends itself well to the AR 15 platform, most AR manufacturers are making all the parts for the 6.8, like bolts and the proper magazines which work perfect with the necked down 6.8 brass. The 6 WOA has a 300 FPS advantage over the 6X45, which is substantial if you take 2 factors into consideration. One is the fact that all commercial bullets are made to work within the velocity range of the 243 Winchester. The 6 WOA is around 250 FPS slower than the 243 with a 70 grain bullet, well within the working range of the bullet. The 6 WOA's case capacity is in between the 6 PPC and the 6 BR, the two most accurate short range rifle cartridges in the world. As one would expect the 6 WOA is unbelievably accurate. The cartridge has had some success in competition also.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it with a 100 grain bullet on the big western mule deer. As a matter of fact mine will shoot the cheap Remington core-lokt 100 grain bulk bullets into one hole. What more could a guy want

Dan, which caliber did you use to win the APC shootout this last Saturday?

Dan, which caliber did you use to win the APC shootout this last Saturday?

That was a 243 Ackley bolt action rifle.

My partner uses one that Dan built and I will add my thumbs up. I haven't had to finish off a coyote for him since he started using it. I've really been saving some ammo.

You know, I build a lot of them and have never heard one complaint about them. I have to believe it truly is a great cartridge.

So what would a upper with a few mags run? What brl length would you recomend?

Standard upper $795.00 fluting $100.00 extra for 6.8 bolt group $40.00, mags are 12-15 dollars each.

Any chance of a big manufacturer building uppers chambered in this?

Heath - I am going to say no majors will produce it. 6WOA is still a wildcat.

The 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendal are mainstream now.

Still like the 6WOA. Recoil like a 223 and kills like a 243.

Way too much cartrige for cats.

Kelly

Yeah, someone will tweak the dimensions a bit and call it their own, like 6mm REM AR. There are a half dozen variants of the WOA right now.

None of them are any better that the original.

Dan, do you chamber many bolt guns in 6 WOA?

Is this the caliber of AR you made for Jim? He took it up with us this last week and I had the horror of sitting about 2 feet directly to the muzzle's left side when he fired it the first time at a P. dog. "Don't worry, it wont be too bad," he said. Holy hell.

I didn't take into account that you are used to the report of a pellet gun, which performed well on PDs, I might add. Like I said, just be glad it wasn't the other one.

I don't recommend the 6 WOA in a bolt gun, I like the 243 AI.

My next rifle will be a 243 Ackley.

My next rifle will be a 243 Ackley.

My last build was almost one. Eventually I settled on a 260 Remington.

I'll echo a "atta boy" for Dan on the 6 WOA, I sure like mine. Only killed a handful of coyotes with it so far, but they didn't twitch when they got smacked by the 65 V-Max. My best group with a cold shot and 2 follow up rounds to date is .358 at 100 yards. That's all I need to know. ;)

Dan or others,

How much flatter is the 6WOA than the 223R at 400yds? Assuming same barrel length, zero, and
similar load pressures and bullet BC?

Has anyone necked teh 6WOA back down to .224? Is it worth the hassle for the FPS gain in your opinion?

Thanks!

Scott

The easy answer is the WOA will push equal bullets about 200+ fps faster than the 223. However that's not the real story. The 6 WOA will push a 70 grain bullet as fast as a 223 will push a 55. There the BC of the bullets gives a definite advantage to the 6mm. I have almost exclusively used a 6 WOA for the last 5-6 years for predators.

The 6.8 case has been necked down the 22 with good results. It will get push an equal bullet about the same speed as the 6mm WOA

Thanks Dan!

Do you see any real world advantage for the 22-6WOA (~22DTI?) over a straight 6WOA for coyotes out to 400yds?

And what 6.8 5-round mags are the best?

First there are not that many magazine manufacturers, there are a lot of different names on them. I like C-Products and PRI.

Anytime you can get more velocity from a given bullet you are gaining something. Between a 22-6.8 and a 6mm-6.8 I'll take the 6mm every time. The diameter of the bullet has an positive effect on terminal ballistics.

Back in the 70's the 222 Remington ruled short range bench rest. The 6mm PPC showed up and put the 222 in the history books. The 68 grain 6mm BR bullet will stomp a mud hole in a 52 grain BR bullet in the wind, and I'm not talking about much wind either.

I figure I've probably killed 150 coyotes with the 6 WOA at this point with only one needing a better placed shot. Outstanding predator cartridge.