Fred Schapp

Can I use a .17 hmr for coyote?

31 posts in this topic

I'm in CT and am limited on State Land to .22 lr caliber (or less) or shotgun with no larger than #4 shot. I know I could use the .17 hmr on fox but don't know if i'm pushing it for coyote. The coyotes run a little large around here, and i'm planning on not having any shots past 75-100 yrds due to the terrain/thickness of brush and undergrowth.

It is not advisable to shoot a coyote with a caliber with such low kinetic force.

RimfireKineticEnergyChart-1.jpg

You'd have better luck with a shotgun than with a HMR. Practice your calling and all your shots could be at 25 yds. or less.

Go with 4 Hevi-shot.

Ronnie Robison tested hevi-shot for the company a few tears ago and he found that 4 hevi would penetrate a coyotes skull at 60 yards. As Tom advised get them in as close as possible.I would be comfortable shooting them at 30-35 yards with 4 hevi

WOW Rich!! Penetrated the SKULL at 60 yds! I know that's not a guarantee of anything but impressive nonetheless. Do you by chance have any comparison charts or studies of any sort about different shotgun loads/ coyote loads, interesting stuff.

To the original question......there are indeed people who kill coyotes with a .17 hmr, many claim it does just fine, I tend to believe that most of those claims are made by people who killed one or two and then claim that they are a good coyote rifle.....they are not. If it's all you have then get it sighted in and go for it but if it were me I would grab the shotgun. My experience with the HMR has taught me exactly what Scott said and shows in the charts.

Some years ago there was a discussion on this very subject and I believe it was CT also....can you use a .22 mag? I guess my point is....is it rimfire only?

I have shot 3 coyotes with a .17 HMR. A double at about 10 yards. Called in a pair while calling fox. Pair came charging in I barked at 10 yards and both stopped. drilled one in the chest and he began spinning. Switched to 2nd which was quartering away walking looking over her shoulder at the 2nd. I barked again and she stopped 12 yards. Shot her and she started jumping and spinning. Swung back to first and he was down but very much still alive. Put another bullet in him and he was out. Swung back to female and she was down and stopped moving after a few more seconds. My point- even at a super close range with solid, quality shots into the vitals, it's not a sure deal. You're going to have runners and a follow up shot will be needed. You'll loose some. .17 grain hollow points used. 3rd coyote I have on film. 100 yard shot and he ran few hundred yards. Not a good scene.

Picture of 2 coyotes in explanation above.

11_7a.jpg

11_7b.jpg

I was hunting for a good fur gun for fox and bobcats and went first with the Savage .17 HMR. I shot 30 foxes with it and had mixed results. I shot 1 smaller sized bobcat at 25 yards straight in the chest and he went down like a sack of potatoes. Not even a twitch.

10_20b.jpg

10_20c.jpg

10_20a.jpg

In the end I sacked the .17 hmr all-together as I felt its a round more in tune with rabbits, woodchucks, squirrels, and mammals of that size. Marginal performance if you are looking at targets of average size.

Scott, I"ve hunted coons quite a bit and decided to try the hmr only to discover that it took more shots than a 22 lr (by far) to kill a coon and God forbid you may have to shoot through a twig or something of that nature. I used that gun for my daughters to shoot PDs , accurate little gun and round but many times it wouldn't even clean kill a dang PD. Rabbits? Maybe. I figured you fox and cat guys would like it but after seeing it's lack of killing power I sure wouldn't want to risk a 200 dollar cat getting away. If it was all I had, I would use it.

I remember the first coon I shot with it, 10 feet up and I was maybe 15 feet from the tree, right in the face, coon stayed in the tree, 5 more shots and the coon falls down, I'm thinking something bad has happened to the scope between the range and the field, check the coon, of the 5 shots in the body, 2 splashed, the first shot to the head actually hit the coon square on the chin and blew the end of his lower jaw up.......6 total shots and 3 found there way inside the coon, I think he died from laughing at the HMR.

Scott you got a energy chart for a shotgun useing buck-shot???????

Woodchucks are tough little bastards. I would use a heavier caliber for them than the HMR. I shot one through the ear, literally, with an arrow and that sumbitch ran into its den with the arrow sticking out of its head like Steve Martin. Then after some pestering at the back of its den the thing came out of it's den with the arrow still sticking out of its head, alive and well. Shit, leave the HMR for chipmunks, not the beastly woodchuck.

Yes, you could use an HMR for shooting coyotes and I could use a tack hammer to frame a house.

Scott you got a energy chart for a shotgun useing buck-shot???????

I've told you a number of times that if you think a shotgun shooting shot can't kill a coyote at 60 yards, drag your old stank ass out to AZ and Rich and I will shoot at you with our 870s from 75 yards with #4 buck and see if you are left standing.

1 person likes this

Won't all the shot end up in the back of the truck? LOL We all know where tiny t is going with that, I on the other hand would actually like to see some numbers on different shots just to compare.

Fred, welcome aboard.

As you can see most if not all, won't recommend the HMR, keep in mind as a new member here, we are kind of a "salty" bunch and tend to sway from the original topic at times. However there are usually "gems" of information to found along the way.

Fred,

Some say we're too rough on the new guy. Welcome to the pride.

JHA1d.gif

LOL I love that clip :)

Scott Trowbridge is pesident or VP of Arizona Trappers Association and one hell of a predator caller.

He told me that he called and killed 15 coyotes last year with the 17HMR just to see if it could be done.

He said he wore out a lot of boot leather tracking them down after hitting them. He retired the HMR as a calling rifle.

It's good to ask people with real time experience rather than theories.

Well here are a few numbers to ponder on..

12 ga. 3" supreme 00-buckshot

Vel 1450 at muzzle each pellet weighs 53.8 gr.

I could'nt find any ballistics for the 00-buck shot so I substituted a 53 gr. hornady bullet knowing full well the Hornady bullet has a better B.C. than the 00-buck and would have more energy over the buck shot due to its shape so we will spot the buck shot a few pounds of energy..

53 gr. H.P. 1459 fps.

energy at muzzle- 250 pounds

50 yards-207 lbs.

100 yds.-173 lbs.

17 HMR with a 20 gr. (better choice for coyotes) vel. of 2375 fps

energy at muzzle- 250 lbs.

50 yards-187 lbs.

100 yards-120 lbs.

22mag 40 gr h.p

energy at the muzzle 324 lbs.

50 yards-230 lbs.

100 yds- 162 lbs..

The only advantage 00 buck shot has is multaple pellets with less down range energy than the 17 H.M.R. or 22 mag.

With the HMR or 22 mag. you have more control over where the bullet goes to get the job done and if used in a Semi-auto platform a shooter should'nt have a problem with a follow up shot if needed...

A caller is set up on stand with one gun a shotty or a HMR or 22 mag. (due to some state hunting laws).. The caller is limited to 50 yds with the shotty and 100-150 with the two rim-fires... I'd take one of the rim-fires any day over a shotgun..

Edit to add you need to keep in mind that the data for the 53 gr. is going to give a little high reading due to the shape of projectile, a round ball(buckshot) is going to loose speed and energy faster than the other.....

And that's why we don't shoot shotguns at coyotes that are 100yds away while pretending that we are shooting a 53 gr. HP...........Very scientific and full of unusually strange yet useless info, what are your thoughts on global warming?

I think the original inquiry has been satisfied, notwithstanding all the scientific evidence presented by the MN. sector.

No but there are some to claim they make 60-70 yards kills on a reg, basis..

The 100 yds was just added to give a guy a good idea of how much energy is there or lost compared to 50 yds.and also for comparison of the 17 HMR to the 22 mag.

The buckshot is roughly the same weight so its close enough, and like said the buck is going to have alot less energy due to its shape... Like I also stated there is'nt any info on the buck-shot so I just used the next best thing for comparison.. Think you could come up with something better... Such a ass!!!!!!!!..........

Gosh tiny!! I thought I was quite nice, but yet you call me an ass......you're impossible to please.

......you're impossible to please

Maybe so, but it dose'nt change the fact your still a ass...

"An" ass.... not "a" ass......I'm just sayin, if your gonna be mean and nasty at least do it with proper use of the language, just trying to help.

JD, I can smell the gears burning as he's trying to figure out the 'a' versus 'an' scenario. God bless us, every one, Timmer.

Man, I always miss out on the good stuff. I was out hunting all day and should have come home after my second stand and joined the party. I had zinger after zinger running through my head reading this thread. They're just not as good after the fact. :(

ETA: Oh, and don't use a 17HMR unless you are a master tracker and enjoy tracking more than killing.

On a side note, I'm considering a HMR for our ground Squirrels while a 10/22 will serve reasonably well in most situations. I would like a little more splat factor. Had a 17 Fireball that was a little too much, it just cut them in half, not that I care its just a lotta' work reloading when on a good sunny spring day a few hundred rounds isn't out of the question.

Here's a typical Squirrel, we call 'em sage rats, in the aftermath of being shot with the 17 FB. As you can see they ain't as big as a PD..So the hummer might work and provide a little more excitement than a 22lr ?

DSCN5172.jpg

4 Hevi-shot some expensive shells and the shots made at 60 yards were most likely made with shotskis built to do so .

Yea I know you guys don't like this but I say shoot what you got!! 17 HMR or the shotski.

what ever you choose, shoot it accurately . accuracy and bullet placement is what should concern you .I don't see a inaccurate OO buck or #4 Hevi being any better then a well places 17.

I have no trouble with the 17 to the head or neck at 40 yard the 17 brakes them down when the bullet is placed right. not my round of choose but like you i have areas that is rim fire or shot gun only .

bottom line is get out there and wait for the right shot and be sufficient with what ever you carry.

know your limitation have fun be safe and remember its about the challenge of the hunt so if the shot don't come don't take it .

i like to hear more on these shot guns making the 60 yard shots. 2 3/4 3''? choke ? barrel?