Gary Clevenger

MAD Howler - Trade for an honest review of the call on this site.

28 posts in this topic

Wanted: Knowledgeable hand caller

That's right - MAD howler free free free - you pay the postage.

This precious collector's call is current production priced at $15.95. Described my MAD as,"The most realistic coyote howler on the market."

I believe this is the absolute worst sounding call I've ever tried.

I'd like its new owner to post their own honest review on this website in the hand call forum. That's the deal, you get the call and the site gets the review. No one would believe me if I posted my own criticism of this POS, it being a Flambeau product and all.

Must be used as sold by Flambeau - no disassembly/modifications allowed

Is it the MAD Cherry howler enclosed reed?

Bought one a few years ago and returned it. Not a good call.

Edit: I could get a decent "challenge howl" out of it but other than that it's not worth the money.

My opinion may not be worth much, but every howler they make is a piece of ---- in my opinion, please do not send it anywhere close to me. thank you

Have never bought anything from Flambeau,went to thier website and they dont seem to be much into the predator hunting market.

they have few cheesy decoys and hand calls from Circe outside of that nothing!

I was hoping to get a look at this howler Gary is so proud of. lol

Paul, picture a deer grunt. That's what it is.

This is the one that I bought. That was bad.

be0c8c60.jpg

Or, this may be the one Gary is talking about. Never tried this one so I have no opinion on it.

664fee3d.jpg

Piece of cake.. B)

002-1.jpg

Let's hear it then, TA! We all know you can howl in coyotes using a bassoon, so wail away.

Thank you Chris and Tim. Tim, is yours a MAD? When was that style made?

The call I have is the cherry closed reed with the medium plastic horn. Yes, a deer grunt. I tried to get anything else out of it, even by taking it apart.

be0c8c60.jpg

Ive had the one Chris posted, the open reed with protector, eons ago....couldnt run it. I know guys that love it...dont know why.

Elk howler, diaphragm with or without a horn, or a Critr Call Magnum................my choices in howler department.

Mark

edit: also like the Red Desert.

Really, I think that closed reed cherry is only to get turkeys to shock gobble and not to call in coyotes. It's a one trick pony. You can howl with it but as a stand alone full time howler, no dice.

I can howl using a Sceery AP-1 Rodent Coaxer but that doesn't make it a full time howler either.

No takers yet? Hmmm. After we all gave it such glowing reviews too.

Looks like it might need to be tossed, kinda like the Primos double whammy, or whatever it's called ? Thats laying somewhere out in the Oregon desert..After I got pissed off and chucked the damn thing while on a stand, several years ago..

Lol, Dave. Sometimes ya just have to get rid of the stuff, even if it's in the desert. :)

I had one too Dave,its in a box in the garage somewhere , Oregon was just too far to drive.

Update. I spent a couple of hours with it today. It's got an enclosed open reed. It has 4 lower pitches that are all low bleats in the deer range. It has two pretty good notes up high more in that coyote range, but the transition between those two doesn't sound too good. It will take anyone a few tries to get that high note. It started best for me with my hand closed on the horn and then opened up just a bit once it was going. I also got a decent bark from yelling the word "KICK" at the same high frequency. It won't win a contest, but it might fool a coyote. It's not for a new guy.

Doing the howl, it fires up, like I said, with some back pressure from your hand. However, at the end of a howl, I can't shut the air off quick enough to keep the call from doing a fast slide down through the lower notes. So it sounds like a pretty good coyote howl all the way to the end, and then it quacks or maybe it grunts. I got the best howl mouthing the word HALT (more like HaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAALT. It still has a quack at the end. No success getting a good finish to my coyote howl from this howler.

Who's first? I'll clean it up and mail it, and whoever gets it next, you mail it on to the next guy.

Not sure if I'm following correctly. You are talking about the deer grunt call with the long tube, correct????

If so its not designed for howling or distress sounds just deer grunts (bucksnorts)... Blow into the call with very lite air pressure and slowly with short bursts.... If all else just exspose the tone board and use it as a duck call...

If nothing else, this thread is entertaining and educational.

Yotehead said he wanted it :)

The back pressure was your key.. I've never used the howler in question but it's not gonna differ from any other enclosed "long" open reed call.. (Think Goose Flute) They are difficult and take a lot of back pressure and air to manipulate. It is possible to control it with just your mouth and tongue to create the pressure but it's certainly not worth the time and effort just to howl up a coyote. Your best bet is to take the reed out, paint a peace symbol on it and sell it as a beer bong...

Post it on Epray. Somebody will buy it.

You might get negative feedback though.

Lol. Pass it around PHF like the Little Brown Jug in college football.

Each member records a howl with it, posts it and then we vote on the howls. The best of the worst keeps it 'til next year, then we do it over again. :)

not funny chris lol

not funny chris lol

You want that thing sooooo bad, hanging from your lanyard, you can taste it. You can smell that sweet cherry wood and hear the beautiful vibrato of a prefect lone howl coming from the end of that hand crafted work of art.